Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Lorax!


Elly, a friend from high school and loyal customer, contacted me and asked me to create cupcakes with The Lorax theme for her daughter, Julie's 15th birthday. I had many ideas for this theme and researched it quite a bit (although I did not see the movie (yet!)). A Mom at my son's preschool suggested I use cotton candy for the truffula trees and I thought that was an amazing idea. I covered pretzel sticks with white chocolate and drew blue stripes with edible marker and when I attempted to attach the cotton candy, I had to rethink this idea. They kept losing shape, incredibly sticky to handle and just did not work. I then began to think of other options & decided not to make the theme three dimensional. I went with a "cartoonish" technique to honor Dr. Seuss' distinguishable, unique style. I found some adorable cupcake wrappers on Etsy and just used them as a guide as I shaped and drew on my homemade fondant. I was still able to use the pretzels as the truffula trunks. My favorite is the fish but hoping Julie and her friends will love them all!

1 comment:

It's always nice to hear what you have to say!